You’ve probably seen it in most grocery stores, read about it in various articles, but, have you tried chia? We have, and we LOVE it!
Health benefits of chia:
1. Balances and stabilizes blood sugar as it slows the effect at which glucose enters the bloodstream – ideal for diabetics and those wanting to prevent diabetes. Got children that constantly turn into Wild Things? Try chia! Paired with a balanced diet, managing blood sugar is critical to good behavior, attention span and your Wild Thing’s mood.
2. Improves insulin sensitivity and lower insulin means that it will indirectly help with belly fat as fat in this area is associated with excess insulin (and cortisol).
3. Good fat and high omega-3. In fact, the highest omega 3 content in nature – can’t beat that. Chia seeds are one of the greatest plant sources of a fatty acid called alpha-linoleic acid (ALA).
4. FIBER! 10 grams in one ounce.
5. Contains high amounts of tryptophan, the amino acid precursor of serotonin and melatonin. Real food rocks!
6 Lowers cholesterol, blood pressure and high blood sugar after meals.
7. EASY to use! You don’t have to grind them like you have to do with flax seeds. Your stomach acids break down the seed very easily. If you don’t grind flaxseeds to release the healthy fats then they pass right through you.
8. Nutrients galore! This powerhouse is a fantastic source of calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, phosphorous, and folic acid. Oh, and did I mention 4 grams of protein in an ounce? Fantastic, right?!
Need some ideas on what to do with chia?
- Sprinkle on yogurt, in your cereal, in a smoothie
- Mix it into sauces (AFTER you cook it, when you are about to serve it)
- Sprinkle it in a sandwich, in tuna/chicken salad, or on your green salad
- Sprinkle on some berries
And my favorite ‘mama’s in a hurry, no time to eat go go go’ - toss one heaping tablespoon chia in about 2.5 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut or almond milk, let it sit while you get yourself as ready as 2 whirlwind children will let ya and then down that “chia shot” before walking out the door. Filling, full of good stuff, and will totally tide you over until you can catch your breath and maybe a decent meal!